Sunday, July 12, 2015

B-E-D-T-I-M-E

Studies have shown that at least 83% of children who have autism have a sleeping disorder. Aubrey is definitely part of that 83%.  At one time this was a two part problem but it has been narrowed down to just one.  Until the past year I struggled with both getting Aubrey to go to fall asleep as well as her staying asleep.  Currently, she falls asleep with ease but staying asleep is still a nightly challenge.  Usually the second text I get from Seth in the morning is, "Did Aubrey wake up last night?".  3 am is her favorite middle of the night play time.  It is like she just cannot turn her brain off.  Even if she is exhausted enough to rest it for a few hours, if she somehow manages to wake her body up, the racing mind wins.  It seems to be a constant battle of body and brain.  I feel like I am always trying to physically exhaust her so that she can sleep all night.  A full day of school with after school activities did the trick most of the time this past year.  During the summer, she has to have at least four hours of outside play time for me to not listen for her all night.  Rainy days are the enemy! I have tried every trick in the book - melatonin, no sugar, lavender, sleeping in my bed, me sleeping in her bed, rocking her, leaving her in her room by herself, reading quietly, singing, etc. It seems as if there are just too many thoughts in her head and she cannot block them out.  Once she is up, it is very unusual for her to be able to fall back asleep until at least 10 am.  There are days that she just goes to school and sleeps for a few hours and of course that just throws everything off.  I am always open to suggestions of how to help her conquer a good night of rest.

Keeping a constant schedule is how I mastered the art of getting her to fall asleep.  Schedules are the key to so many successes in children with autism and the same has been true with Aubrey falling asleep at night.  Once she started kindergarten, her nightly homework was for us to read a book together and then I had to log it in her daily planner.  This was not only a great time to get some reading in, it was also a great activity to construct her nightly schedule around.  Reading a book is the last thing we do as she falls asleep. She has supper, a bath, gets dressed, climbs up in her bed and listens to me read. She knows what to expect every single night and there is no confusion about what she should do next. If I am running a little late with starting her nightly routine she will remind me that her day is coming to an end by spelling B-E-D-T-I-M-E over and over again on her iPad. Now, if I could get her to say that again as she's prying my eyelids open in the middle of the night.


http://treatautism.ca/2014/06/16/sleep-disorders-affect-83-of-children-diagnosed-with-autism/      

2 comments:

  1. Steph, have you tried the weighted blankets and if so, have they helped in anyway for Aubrey?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried a weighted blanket when I had problems with her falling asleep and had no success. It would be a good idea for me to try it when she wakes though. I will let you know if it works ��.

    ReplyDelete